Thursday, May 30, 2013

Best Kept Secrets: Beauty Schools

In college I was poor.

I just graduated...and I'm still poor. I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that most college students or recent graduates couldn't keep up with their weekly manicures. So, we buy our own polish and just do it ourselves, which is fine, but it's so much better done professionally. Am I right? I can barely color inside the lines, you don't want to see me do my own mani and pedi. 

So, one day over Christmas break, my mother gave me this amazing idea to go to the local beauty school -- Empire Beauty School. They are the nation's leading beauty school and have over 100 locations. They also offer salon services to the public. AND THEY ARE CHEAP. You can't beat Empire's prices. 



Empire offers hair, skin and nail services at their student salon. The most expensive hair service? Hair extensions: $50. That is insane! I have friends that have spent thousands on extensions. Skin misbehaving lately? Treat yourself to a spa facial for $30. The prices are insane, check out the rest of the guest services here

My mom and I both got a spa manicure and pedicure that costed $28 each. A "spa" mani/pedi combo at any actual spa could cost more than $100. The spa mani/pedi at Empire includes an arm and foot/leg massage, a mask and polish. I'm not sure if it was the location closest to us, but there were only five polishes to select from. So, just in case you're unsatisfied with the colors they provide, I'd bring your own. And if you're anything like me, you have tons of polishes that you don't even use yourself! 

I also got a facial at this same location. Now, I knew this would be below par when the student told me it was his first time. There was no facial "experience." There was just cleansing, toning and moisturizing, which I could've done myself in my sleep. I think I only got the basic facial, so the spa facial could be better. 

Looking at the menu, I'm intrigued by their hair services. I'm feeling black violet hair color right now. For $25, I can't say no! 

The overall performance on each service definitely depends on the student. Some students are better with hair, while other are better with skin. My tip is to personally request someone who has more experience in the service you're looking to get. Empire is definitely a place where I'll go if I need weekly upkeep, but if there is an event or I need extra pampering time, I'll probably go somewhere else. 

I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick :: Audrey Hepburn 

6 comments:

  1. I've heard this tip before but I've never tried it!

    ~Taylor
    http://liveandmove.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it! I'd be a little more skeptical with things like hair cuts and color, but hey maybe I should be a little more adventurous.

      Delete
  2. I've heard this before as well, but having feedback from someone that as actually GONE makes me much more open to trying it out!

    ♥, Em
    itsemmaelise.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was actually my moms idea (haha she's sick of spending money on me and my high-maintenance needs maybe?)

      Delete
  3. That's a great idea! It's actually a good way to save money. And that's true, nothing can still beat a spa facial from the pros. But on the bright side, you can start getting acquainted with the students there, and who knows, one of them might own a posh spa in the future where you can get discounts and freebies from.

    La Fleur de Beauté: A Day Spa

    ReplyDelete