Thursday, May 23, 2013

Turn Offs and Let Downs

Honestly, anticipating something to be so great, and having it not live up to your expectations, is probably one of the worst feelings in the world. One second your intrigued, the next your disappointed. In these circumstances I'm talking about beauty products.

Nivea's Raspberry Rose Kiss
I fell in love with the lip butter in Vanilla & Macadamia Kiss and when so many people were raving about Raspberry Rose, I had to buy it. As soon as I left the store and got in to my car, I couldn't wait! So, I opened it up right away and smelled it...in the wise words of Janice Ian, it smelt like a "baby prostitute." I was expecting it to smell like a unique combination of raspberry and rose, but it smells like the generic raspberry ice cream you get at your local bodega. I'm not pleased, but I do use it because the product itself is amazing, buttery and is the best lip product out there right now. However, Rapsberry Rose Kiss does not get my kiss of approval.

Estee Lauder's Take It Away Total Makeup Remover 
Not a fan. It doesn't wipe makeup off of your face as well as wipes or oil cleansers. It leaves a residue that feels like a moisturizer, but it takes away from your actual cleanser doing its job. It's not unusual to see leftover makeup on my cotton pad when applying toner. That is not okay! Makeup removers should leave your face completely makeup-free. That's that. The one situation in which this makeup remover is effective is in removing long-wearing lipstick. Personally, I like my makeup removers to, you know, remove my makeup. On to the next one. 

Maybelline's Color Tattoo in "Too Cool" and "Bold Gold" 
Maybelline really killed it with these cream shadows, but Too Cool and Bold Gold seem to have gotten shafted. Neither of these are as smooth and easy to apply as the rest of the colors in this line. It seems that the sparkles make the product gritty and chunky, which isn't the ideal texture for a shadow...especially a cream shadow! 
Stila's Stay All Day Foundation & Concealer 
I was looking for a full coverage foundation that would stay put while I danced during football season, so I was recommended this product. My review might be a little skewed because I was definitely color-matched incorrectly, but it's hard to love something when it looks terrible. The color is orange. No matter how tan someone is, no one is actually the color of a pumpkin (unless you went a little self-tanner-crazy). The concealer is too thick compared to this foundation so it just doesn't blend well together. The concealer is also the same exact shade as the foundation and most people know that concealer should be slightly lighter. Instead of hiding imperfections, it seems like this foundation flaunts them. Not okay. 

Juice Beauty's Stem Cellular Repair CC Cream in Warm Glow
I was so excited to try this product because it was the first "CC Cream" I had ever heard of and I love Juice Beauty products. Making this short and sweet, the scent is too strong and the texture is creepy. Yes, creepy. It feels like a sticky primer mixed with hair mousse.

Maybelline's Baby Lips
Not worth the hype. I don't feel like this lip balm is deeply moisturizing and it tastes like plastic. I like my lip balms to sink into my lips and feel like they are hydrating. Baby Lips doesn't cut it.

Benefit's Erase Paste 
I love brightening my under eyes. I strictly use yellow, peach and salmon-toned concealers so I was excited when my friend gave me this "brightening camouflage for eyes." This is definitely brightening, but it creases like no other. Concealers shouldn't crease under the eyes and I wasn't expecting this from Benefit. It's too creamy to be used on the under eye area, so all of the product collects in your fine lines. This was a huge disappointment.

Model Co's Fibre Lashxtend Mascara
Um, did I just put on mascara? That's what I first thought when I applied this mascara. It doesn't add length. It doesn't add volume. I'm a little confused...

Stila's All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminizer in Pink Shimmer 
This would've been great when I was 12. It's too sparkly to be called a luminizer. It's unfortunate because I love the pink champagne color, but that completely blends away on your face and you're just left with awkward glitter. Obviously the name "All Over Shimmer" should've been a giveaway, but this came in my BirchBox so I figured it had to be good. False.

Organix Hyrdrating Macadamia Oil Intensive Moisture Mask 
I love Organix hair products, but something's off with their masks. This isn't the first mask I've tried by them and have been left dissatisfied. With the craze of macadamia oil circulating around the beauty community, but my college budget, I decided that Organix would be a great substitute. I was clearly wrong. It's not rich, hydrating, and not even detangling. There is no reason that after a mask I shouldn't be able comb smoothly through my hair. I can't wait for a real job so I can afford the good stuff. Sorry, Organix.

Keep your heels, head and standards high. 

No comments:

Post a Comment